Author Topic: Error Message in Visual Studio 2008  (Read 65847 times)

carlos

Re: Error Message in Visual Studio 2008
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 06:40:26 PM »
Hi Mike

I cant download latest vcredist file from: http://www.btframework.com/wcl/vcredist_x86.exe, as you say in this post.
Where can i dowload it from?

Thanks

Offline Mike Petrichenko

• Bluetooth Framework Developer
  • Administrator
    • Wireless Communication Libraries
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 06:42:12 PM »
Hi,

The latest WCL versions do not need this file. However, you can download latest redist file from MS site.

martidem

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 06:19:58 PM »
I am getting the same error as posted above ("Could not load file or assembly...").  I've tried all the solutions listed above.  What I've discovered is that any PC/laptop that has Visual Studio installed runs the application just fine, but PCs without VS get the error.  I went so far as to uninstall VS from a laptop to test the theory, and sure enough, once VS wasn't installed, the error occurred.

I am publishing as a 32-bit application, and I am including vcredist_x86 in my installation.  However, when I include VC80.CRT.manifest as suggested, Visual Studio gives me a warning that the reference is not used, and I get an error at installation time ("Application validation did not succeed.  Unable to continue.") even on the machines with VS where it previously installed and ran fine without the manifest reference.

Any ideas on other runtime libraries that may need to be included on client machines that don't have development tools installed?

Offline Mike Petrichenko

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 06:32:03 PM »
Hi,

Please take a look on this How To topic How to redistribute WCL with your application.
Also open demo application (any) and check which files are referenced (you can find which files must be referenced in How To above as well).
Please use only DLLs from WCL/Redist folder. Do not use DLLs from your VS redistributable. As well as do not use any vcredist installers as WCL requres only DLLs from WCL package and will not work with any other version of those DLLs.

martidem

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 10:45:05 PM »
First, I'm a little confused.  You're response here says not to use vcredist installers, but your previous responses in this thread suggest using vcredist_x86 as a potential solution.  My install of the WCL librarys didn't include a vcredist installer, so I downloaded it from Microsoft.

Second, if I follow the how-to and the sample applications, I'm supposed to reference Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest.  Whenever I include that reference, the installation gets an error and the application doesn't install, so I never get to the dependency error since I can not actually run the app (even on my development machine).  But without the manifest, the app installs and runs but only on machines with VS installed (even an old XP machine that I literally dug out of the closet to test my theory).  I'm repeating myself, I know, but to me it suggests that there's some other runtime library that's required -- a library included in VS.  I ran DependencyWalker against wcl.dll on the old machine (after removing VS) and there were quite a few dll dependencies now missing.  I copied those from my development machine but with no change -- still getting the dependency error.  Perhaps whatever the dependency is is included in the manifest but since I can't get the install to work with the manifest...

I am developing the app on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine with .NET 4.0, but am publishing it as a 32-bit .NET 2.0 app (since my customer requires that it work on old XP machines).  Is it possible that this is why I'm having issues with the manifest file?  Should I use the 4.0 manifest even though I'm publishing for 2.0?

Offline Mike Petrichenko

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 10:49:12 PM »
As you can see the previouse responses were a year ago. And the last from them was "The latest WCL versions do not need this file. However, you can download latest redist file from MS site." It is already year since WCL does not need vcredist.

I afraid I can not help you with your installer as I don't know what you use. However I can guess that you didn't redistribute all the files but just a manifest. As described you must redistribute few DLLs (the list is available on How To page I gave link to early).

No, if you referenced WCL for .NET 2.0 from the latest package. If you use erly WCL version than it is 2.0 any way. I think th eproblem that you didn't distribute all the required files as it is described on How To page.

martidem

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 11:23:58 PM »
You are right.  (He says as he wipes the egg off his face.)  Visual Studio doesn't want to include some of the dll's in the install package because they aren't referenced in the code.  And it won't let me add them as references to be included in the install.  Possibly because I'm trying to do a quick-and-dirty publish (as opposed to having a "setup" project to manage the installation) so I can get a sample app to the customer ASAP.

If I find a solution to getting the libraries included, I'll post here again as an FYI should anyone else have the same issue.

Offline Mike Petrichenko

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 11:36:17 PM »
Use InnoSetup. I have never seen something simple and better and free.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7