Author Topic: Access denied while enumerating services  (Read 23269 times)

TonyJuurlink

Access denied while enumerating services
« on: November 08, 2013, 03:24:59 PM »
I am encountering "Access denied" errors while enumerating services on our Panasonic CF-19 MK5 toughbooks (and some other models) with the Microsoft stack.  The devices ship with the Toshiba stack.  We uninstall the Toshiba drivers, and the Microsoft stack/drivers install automatically. 

Initially, all works properly.  When we run the BluetoothDiscoveryDemo application, devices show after Discovery and we can Enumerate Services without issue.  Eventually, we end up getting an Access Denied message while attempting to Enumerate Services.  Once we get the Access Denied message, we are no longer able to enumerate services, even if we reboot the machines.  If we re-install and uninstall the Toshiba stack things work properly for awhile, then we start getting Access Denied again.

We have no issues with enumerating services using the Toshiba stack, but other applications we need to hook into require the Microsoft stack.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Mike Petrichenko

• Bluetooth Framework Developer
  • Administrator
    • Wireless Communication Libraries
Re: Access denied while enumerating services
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 03:43:49 PM »
Hello,

Some devices need pairing before allow to enumerate its services.

TonyJuurlink

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 03:51:10 PM »
Thanks.  I don't understand why they would initially work without pairing, then subsequently require pairing.  I would think that if the devices required pairing before allowing to enumerate its services, they would consistently require pairing.

Offline Mike Petrichenko

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 03:54:50 PM »
Not alway but I agree, it looks strange. Would be great if you can provide me more information: which driver runs on client side, which on server? Is there any software on server side? OS on both sides? As more infor as possible so we can try to reproduce the problem here and may be find workaround.

TonyJuurlink

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 05:00:21 PM »
We have several devices exhibiting the same behavior in Windows 7.  With Windows XP, we did not have this issue.

Specs on one the models we are having this issue with (Panasonic FZ-G1):
  Windows 7
  The manufacturer specs state: "Bluetooth v4.0 (Class 1) + EDR"
  Microsoft Bluetooth Driver version 6.1.7601.17889
  HCI version 6.7869, LMP 6.4512
  Hardware Ids:
    USB\VID_8087&PID_07DA&REV_7869
    USB\VID_8087&PID_07DA

In this case, we are testing between two same model/version devices (client/server).  We restore the devices to factory os, and after uninstalling the Toshiba Bluetooth software, there does not seem to be any other software present that would affect bluetooth.

Are there any other specific version details that you would find helpful?

Not to overload, but:
We have also tested with various Panasonic CF-19s.  The MK2 and MK3 models are not experiencing this issue.  The MK4 and MK5 models are experiencing this issue.
MK2 and MK2 are running HCI version 3.3164, LMP version 3.3164.
MK4 and MK5 are running HCI version 4.5276 and LMP version 4.5276.
Testing indicates the issue manifests when running Windows 7, and the devices were not having the issue with Windows XP.

Thanks,
Tony

Offline Mike Petrichenko

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 05:22:40 PM »
Thank you a lot for the detailed information. I will try to reproduce the problem (from your information I guess it is something with BT 4 BLE mode support on Win 7/8) and keep you updated with my experience. I think I'll have something useful in a couple of days.

TonyJuurlink

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 05:44:16 PM »
Thanks very much.  Some additional information on the other devices:
Mk2 Mk3 Mk4
ALPS UGNZA-FA5A
Bluetooth Version V2.0 +EDR Class 1

Mk5
ALPS UGNZA-FA5B
Bluetooth Version v2.1+EDR Class 1

Offline Mike Petrichenko

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 10:16:04 PM »
Hello,

I have checked the problem you reported and found that it looks like WCL returns wrong error code for this situation. Actualy WCL shoudl return WCL_E_SERVICE_NOT_FOUND instead of WCL_E_ACCESS_DENIED when call wclBluetoothDevice.EnumServices fals with no one service found on device. So temporary just keep in mind that this is wrong error code. We will fix it in WCL in next release.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7