Author Topic: GATT Client - How Can I Improve Transmission Rate?  (Read 5361 times)

Offline briandunham

GATT Client - How Can I Improve Transmission Rate?
« on: August 09, 2022, 03:42:21 AM »
I am trying to use the CwclGattClient::SetConnectionParams(const wclBluetoothLeConnectionParametersType Params) function to achieve higher throughput, and I get the returned error: 0X0005105F (WCL_E_BLUETOOTH_LE_FEATURE_NOT_SUPPORTED). I'm wondering if this is just a limitation of Windows 10? Or is this really just my BLE driver not supporting this capability? Does this just set the connection interval to be lower?

Are there other options for improving the transmission rate? My program currently does consecutive CwclGattClient::WriteCharacteristicValue(...) calls when sending large amounts of data and the time it takes to return from the WriteCharacteristicValue call seems to be very slow.

Offline briandunham

Re: GATT Client - How Can I Improve Transmission Rate?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 03:45:43 AM »
I should also mention that I am currently subscribing for notifications from the GATT client, which is mandatory for our design.

Offline Mike Petrichenko

• Bluetooth Framework Developer
  • Administrator
    • Wireless Communication Libraries
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 06:23:57 AM »
Hello,

Connection parameters can be changed only on Windows 11 with MS drivers.

About writing characterisitc vakue: There are 2 ways to write long vakues for nowL

1. Split data to smallamounts.
2. Run Write operationin separate thread.

Offline briandunham

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 05:27:41 PM »
I am already currently splitting the data into smaller chunks and have a dedicated write thread. Would changing my application to be the GATT server improve the write speed?

Offline briandunham

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 05:32:25 PM »
And could my application be running both the GATT server and the GATT client simultaneously?

Offline Mike Petrichenko

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 06:13:08 PM »
I am already currently splitting the data into smaller chunks and have a dedicated write thread. Would changing my application to be the GATT server improve the write speed?

Unfortunatelly no,

Offline Mike Petrichenko

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 06:13:30 PM »
And could my application be running both the GATT server and the GATT client simultaneously?

Usually yes, but depends on your hardware

Offline briandunham

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2022, 03:46:29 AM »
So I put timers around the CwclGattClient::WriteCharacteristicValue(...) call and it takes about 78ms to 150ms to run that single line of code. And I am only sending 16 bytes per write notify. This seems incredibly slow as I'm only able to get transmission speeds of about 150 bytes per second. Is there really no other way to make this faster?

Here is a code snippet of how I'm measuring the time:

DWORD startTime = GetTickCount();

int Res = m_pGattClient->WriteCharacteristicValue(s_rxDataCharacteristic, (unsigned char*)msg, msg->msgLength, plNone);
      if (Res != WCL_E_SUCCESS)
         TRACE("Error: 0x%x\n", Res);
      else
      {
         result = TRUE;
         DWORD endTime = GetTickCount();

TRACE("Time: %dms\n", endTime - startTime);
      }

Offline Mike Petrichenko

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2022, 06:28:17 AM »
Unfortunatellyu no. BLE (and GATT) was designed for power saving, not for bulk data transferring. For big data you should use classic Bluetooth. Not GATT. Of course modern BT 5 allows to transfer audio and video but it does not use GATT for that.

Offline Mike Petrichenko

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2022, 08:52:34 AM »
By the way, latest version allows to get max PDU size (and has event to notify when max PDU size changed). So you can split your data to the max PDU size (-3 bytes) to send it more affective.

Offline briandunham

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2022, 06:11:29 PM »
I should mention here that I was able to drastically improve my throughput by setting the connection interval on the server side (not Windows 10). And when the connection is established, the client and server negotiate the connection params which causes Windows 10 to adjust the connection interval properly.

Offline Mike Petrichenko

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2022, 06:14:53 PM »
I should mention here that I was able to drastically improve my throughput by setting the connection interval on the server side (not Windows 10). And when the connection is established, the client and server negotiate the connection params which causes Windows 10 to adjust the connection interval properly.

That is absolutely correct way and I 100% agree with this solution. If you can adjust any params on your HW side (not on Windows one) it is always right way. Because MS does not allow to control too much things in BLE communication.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7