Author Topic: Problem with Windows Vista  (Read 7474 times)

azulazul

Problem with Windows Vista
« on: November 12, 2008, 02:28:48 PM »
Hello,

We tested your sample code and it works just fine on Windows XP, but in Windows Vista, using the windows drivers, we encounter a problem sending files using proximitysender to terminals that do not require PIN like the sony-ericsson. But when we send files to devices that require PIN to receive a file like the Samsung, it woks fine.

Is there a Police in Wwindows Vista that forces to use a PIN in all Bluetooth tansfers?

Offline Mike Petrichenko

• Bluetooth Framework Developer
  • Administrator
    • Wireless Communication Libraries
Re: Problem with Windows Vista
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 03:04:44 PM »
Good day!

As I can understand you use generic MS drivers. I have never seen any "options" in MS drivers to enable PIN request. What is the Vista version and does it have any service pack installed? I need to check it here and fix if requred.

azulazul

Re: Problem with Windows Vista
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 09:27:18 PM »
Hello Mike,

I did not explained the problem correctly. Sorry for that.

There is a strange behavior when transfering files on Vista (I will send the OS details later).

Say I install a usb device on XP and Vista, and use the default MS drivers. When I right click a file -> send to -> Bluetooth Device,  you can send a file directly to a mobile phone with 3 options: use passkey, do not use passkey, automatically generate a passkey. (no previous pairing)

Here is the thing, if the phone does not require passkey (pin) you should be able to just send the file. This works fine on XP but on Windows Vista it fails to send the file,  but if the phone requires pin (or you choose to send it using a pin code) it works.

I?ve noticed this behavior with Windows Vista (SP1) using plane old bluetooth trasnfer and also if I do it using proximitysender, so this make me think it is some sort of a Windows Vista security issue that prevents unsecure (pinless) transfers using bluetooth.

Have any one noticed this sort of problem with windows vista?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7