Author Topic: possible feature request: notify 'device discovered' immediately  (Read 8933 times)

alexey_gusev

hello,

it would be very nice to have some notification during BT discovery right after the device is discovered, just like you see in Windows. I don't know how it is done in WCL, but eg under Windows Mobile I can use WinSock (WSALookupServiceBegin/WSALookupServiceNext) to get the list of BT devices, and each device is available individually. Such feature would speed up some of my application's functionality.

BR,
Alex

Offline Mike Petrichenko

• Bluetooth Framework Developer
  • Administrator
    • Wireless Communication Libraries
Re: possible feature request: notify 'device discovered' immediately
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 02:39:45 PM »
Hi,

unfortunatly it is impossible in WCL becasue it works with 4 bluetooth drivers and must work identicaly for each one. Each driver does discovering by its own way and WCL uses the optimal way to do discovering.

badbod99

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 12:41:34 PM »
I really think that this needs to be supported.  This library is one of the best on the market, but not having notification of discovery of each device almost makes it unusable for any commercial situation.  Someone near a device expects their mobile phone to be recognised almost instantly, waiting for all discovery to complete means a 10-15 second delay (depending on timeout) rather than almost immediate response.  It's very difficult to set a suitable timeout as you don't want to stop devices from being discovered.

I think it would be good to have this feature where supported by the stack.  This would make the library usable in our and many other situations.

badbod99

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 12:46:21 PM »
It's very difficult to set a suitable timeout as you don't want to stop devices from being discovered.

I also can't get the timeout to work.  No matter what value I provide it still runs discovery for the same period of time.

Offline Mike Petrichenko

• Bluetooth Framework Developer
  • Administrator
    • Wireless Communication Libraries
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 01:25:44 PM »
I will think about this feature and may be I'll implement it.

I also can't get the timeout to work.  No matter what value I provide it still runs discovery for the same period of time.

Not all drivers support this. For example, WidComm does not.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7