Author Topic: wclBluetoothRadio.GetRemoteRssi does not update value  (Read 4118 times)

Offline robertbiro

wclBluetoothRadio.GetRemoteRssi does not update value
« on: June 05, 2020, 12:28:43 AM »
I have a stationary Windows computer with Bluetooth and a laptop with WCL Bluetooth 7.8.7 installed.
I run the BluetoothManager demo program on my laptop.
With my Radio opened and devices discovered, I select my stationary Windows computer.
I then click on the RSSI button to get the signal strength.
As I walk around my house, I continue to check the RSSI value.  It never changes, regardless of my distance to the stationary computer.
Eventually the call to get the RSSI will fail because the laptop is actually too far away from the stationary computer that the signal is gone - even though the reported value is still the initial perfect strength when the 2 devices were right next to each other.

Offline Mike Petrichenko

• Bluetooth Framework Developer
  • Administrator
    • Wireless Communication Libraries
Re: wclBluetoothRadio.GetRemoteRssi does not update value
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 05:23:12 AM »
Hello,

If your device is BLE use BeaconWatcher instead to get correct RSSI. For classic device we can do nothing with this because Bluetooth Framework uses RSSI returned by the system.

Offline robertbiro

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 12:00:24 AM »
Thank you for the quick response.

I have a Client test program that uses wclBluetoothManager to find all Bluetooth devices out there. I connect to a server and transfer a file.  No I want to show the realtime RSSI of the connected server so I know if I am still within range for my file transfer.

I am able to create the wclBluetoothLeBeaconWatcher, hook up a callback to OnAdvertisementFrameInformation and use my wclBluetoothRadio to call wclBluetoothLeBeaconWatcher.Start.
The callbacks with data start coming in.

However, I am not able to match up the long Address parameter of the wclBluetoothLeAdvertisementFrameInformationEvent with any of the server addresses I get from wclBluetoothManager.OnDeviceFound.  And the 'Name' field is always empty.

Offline Mike Petrichenko

• Bluetooth Framework Developer
  • Administrator
    • Wireless Communication Libraries
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2020, 12:12:37 AM »
This applicable to BLE devices. It looks your device is classic. In fact RSSI gives absolutely nothing in Bluetooth classic because it is not a standard. If device found - it is available.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7